A while ago i wrote a pretty in depth article for CG society about working as a modeller in the film vfx industry. A lot of people following me seem to want to go the production route so I would suggest giving the article a read. I am pretty to the point about the reality of working in VFX, especially about how this is a Job and not always sunshine and rainbows.
"This article is for people thinking of pursuing a career in VFX, or who are just starting out. I will not be talking about making a model itself, but rather about something just as important, if not more: how to approach the task and all of the factors to consider during the process. I will be breaking down and covering the following:
- Know how your asset will be used
- Gather elements and prep the scene
- Model correctly and Efficiently
- Get feedback consistently
- This is Production, not Personal
- Clean Up
- Hand off and following the work"